Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Rasputina Meets Marcus... and I Win My First Game!

Surprisingly, we didn't immediately play a game the same day we bought our first box sets. It was our gaming night, and we had D&D to contend with. I showed Raspy to my brother while we were waiting for the others to show up at his apartment, and hoped that he would be more interested in her than he actually was. As fate would have it, it would be at least another six months before he gained some interest in her!

So the boxes sat for perhaps four days or so, and my husband and I decided that we would try a game. We didn't have a cleared off table in the house, so we decided to play on top of a large box, which was smaller than the 3 x 3 board we should have been playing on. For terrain, we used junk that we found around the house. The fate cards told us that we were fighting in a goblin village, so we used the lid from a 32 oz. fountain drink for a pond, an upside down cup as a silo, and so on. Surprisingly, I could visualize the village even with our haphazard improvised terrain. The final touch was a button for a treasure marker.

And oh, how we fought for that button! Our unpainted and unassembled crews rushed at each other, and I learned very quickly that Raspy could blast the hell out of things. Unfortunately, all I really did was cast December's curse over and over, and charge forward into melee with everything else.

It worked for my first game. My husband's strategy with Marcus was to rely on numerous attacks to plink me to death, and it just wasn't enough to contend with even my poorly played Raspy blasty smashiness.

He studied the rules afterward, and as an experienced gamer (and excellent strategizer) changed his playing style entirely. This was one of two games that he has ever lost with Marcus... he has won all the rest!

Contrarywise, this was the only game to this date that I have won on my own.

I am terrible with rules, and horrid with strategy!

I still love this game. Even losing game after game after game since.

0 comments:

Post a Comment