Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sonnia Loves Explosions!

Last evening, my husband, my brother Tim and I met at the gaming store to paint Malifaux figures and possibly play. I worked on the Ortegas, except Papa Loco, whose model confuses the bejeezus out of me... I can't tell what is what on him! I think I have some nice colors going on, though I got teased for making Nino's coat a shiny brown. Perdita has pony chaps.

After painting for a few hours, Tim and I decided to play a game. We settled on 25 points, and he tested out his Sonnia Criid box, adding my desperate mercenary (Farah Fawcett Ortega - hehe), and I fielded Perdita, Santiago, Francisco, Nino and a ronin. Our shared strategy was claim jump, and for schemes I chose announced Hold out, and announced Raid!. Tim chose announced Hold out, and unannounced eye for an eye.

The Ortegas did very well for the first two rounds, but on round three things started getting pretty insane. The gaming store was closing, so we had to end things quickly. I moved all my figures toward the objective marker, and he took his Sonnia and blew the crap out of them, along with his witchling stalkers, setting up a nice explody chain reaction finale.

And I'm not kidding... he cast the hell out of that spell! He ended up having a CA of 31, and even though I had a DF of 25 it was to no avail. In addition, he flipped serious damage.

After everything blew up, only Santiago and Sonnia were standing.

But... I was near the objective marker, and Sonnia was not, so I claimed victory. In addition, I had more minions than him, so that made my "Raid!" scheme successful. After VPs were added up, I had 8 and Tim had 3. YAY! It was both of our first time playing with these models.

I was so happy to see Tim have fun with Sonnia, which I bought him for Christmas. He seems to be getting quite addicted, as I planned.

I am definitely feeling more comfortable with gameplay, and don't need much help.

What I learned:
* Don't cast on Sonnia's crew.
* 2 inches between blast templates? OUCH!
* Objectives and Schemes first, screw around later.
* Perdita can matrix dodge anything. Except exploding models.

0 comments:

Post a Comment