Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Unexpected New Years Eve!

The day before New Year's Eve, two members of my D&D group decided to get together and play Malifaux with my hubby and I, since the other group member was out of state for the holidays. It was Chuck's first time playing Malifaux. He was most drawn to Marcus, so he hijacked him from my hubby and seemed to pick things up reasonably quickly. We had a grand time of it, and the hours passed too quickly. None of us had any New Years Eve plans this year, so when we learned the gaming store was holding a new years party and potluck dinner, my husband and my friends Steph and Chuck and I decided that we would meet again the next day and ring in the new year with less alcohol and more imaginary bloodshed.

It was a wonderful day! I arrived to the gaming store around 1pm to start work on painting my new McTavish, and Steph and Chuck arrived at about 3. So all in all we got a good 9 and 1/2 hours of gaming in! Mostly Malifaux, with a short "Munchkin Break" to entertain their child Thomas who seems a bit too young for Malifaux yet -- although my Ice Golem, Johann, and my husband's Razorspine Rattler seem to be his personal heros. After we were done playing, he grabbed my Viktoria crew and acted out a funny battle of his own, as if they were action figures, with dialogue and everything.

The child entertains himself with a game of Werewolf while we play.


At any rate, we decided that in order to get the most playing in as possible we would just play with 25ss. I went with the Viks, Taelor, McTavish, a Ronin, and a Desperate Mercenary with 4ss remaining. Steph went with Perdita Ortega, Francisco Ortega, Abuela Ortega, and Nino Ortega with 6ss remaining with a cache of 2. Our shared strategy was deliver a message, and Steph and I forgot to choose schemes.

On the other side of the table our husbands were playing a game of Raspy vs. Marcus. We had recently picked up Raspy's avatar, and he actually got to use it! That thing is just mean!!

Back on our side of the table, we ended up playing in a "bog", and Steph and I had fun setting up the terrain. Here is the table... anywhere that was not elevated we considered to be water.



I have a blast playing with Steph. We invent little stories about the characters as we play, and why they react certain ways. We have decided that my Desperate Mercenary, who I have been calling Farah Fawcett because of her hairstyle, is Francisco Ortega's estranged wife... Farrah Fawcett-Ortega.


Farrah calls out desperately for "Franco" as she charges across the bridge!


Perdita enjoyed putting a bullet between Farrah's eyes, even though she was trying to make ammends. No one hurts her brother!!

Other highlights of the game was Steph mining about six soulstones and managing to use them all during play, McTavish plinking off Ortegas with his 14 inch range, and Nino Ortega showing us all that he was brain damaged as he faced off against both Viks, Taelor and a Ronin. It didn't last long.


Silly, stupid Nino!!


We paused the game midway, so I could go to the grocery store and get something for the potluck. I picked up some whipped cream, cherries, marshmallows and walnuts, and whipped up some cherry fluff. It is my old stand-by when I don't know what to bring to a potluck or picnic! Yummmm potluck... I've always enjoyed them. We took a short break to eat, and then continued to graze on finger foods as we played.

Malifaux + Potluck = AWESOME. But back to the game!

The final showdown!


Eventually, I killed all of the Ortegas. Sadly, I still didn't win. Steph delivered her message one round before I did, so after the VPs were calculated all of my slaughter mattered not at all! Terribly depressing!

After the first game and the Munchkin break, my hubby played a game against another player who had come in later than us, and Chuck, Steph and I had a 3-way brawl. We decided to go with strictly box sets for some reason. Steph took Colette (with the intention of letting me finally play Perdita), Chuck took Kaeris, and I took... the Viks. I think I am honestly just starting to love them. Its a good feeling!

It was tough for me to shelf McTavish and go with just the box set, though! I love the model, and he has been working well for me so far.

I'm not gonna go into detail about this game, suffice to say that it lasted quite a while, and we had shared strategy treasure hunt. My scheme was announced frame for murder with Taelor, Chuck's was to kill Cassandra, and Steph's was to kill 3 constructs. So I killed Cassandra first, then plinked the constructs down until there were only two left, grabbed the treasure with Taelor and ran back to my side of the board.

Taelor brings it home! Yay!


The game ended at 12:30 am. We took a couple minute break to ring in the new year, and kiss our spouses. Then the first thing I did in 2012 is... WIN MY FIRST GAME OF MALIFAUX BY MYSELF since that initial game. Huzzah!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment