Monday, January 2, 2012

The Three Viktorias

As much as I loved the idea of Raspy, I realized that I needed a crew that involved much less thought. Playing games with Raspy was extremely slow, as I had to constantly read over the cards, and could never seem to remember spells and abilities. I am absolutely not a quick learner, and I have absolutely no talent for strategy and rules. I am certain that I frustrated my opponents with this! Besides, all I really wanted to do was just charge into the fray and smack things with my ice golem. It got to the point that I was ignoring spells entirely, in favor of not having the frustration of dealing with them.

Well, that's certainly not how Raspy should be played!

Fortunately for the world, there is a variety of Malifaux crews out there to choose from. So when my husband (who is still absolutely in love with Marcus) decided that he would like to pick up another crew, I decided that I would like to as well. When we went to the gaming store to look at the box sets in stock, this time Colette was there. I felt a little pang of jealousy as my husband picked it up, knowing that while she was beautiful, she was far too complicated for me. I eventually settled on the Viktorias, though I wasn't fond of any of the models whatsoever, because it seemed as if their playing style was more in line with what I needed. Besides, my name is Victoria, and the thought of playing my namesake elicited a little giggle.

I decided that I would paint the Viktorias as Latinos, because I had been thinking about West Side Story since I had heard a selection from it on NPR earlier that day. This was a good decision for me, as after everything was painted, I realized that the colors of the models were what I disliked more than their shape. Except Johan. I still hate Johan... he looks like a dumbass. Its that stupid cloak!! And his... chest piercings.

About a week later, I decided that I would pick up some Ronin. I was happy to have them because I could get rid of Bishop, who was the only one who was entirely too complicated for me. I had them all painted (sans details and shading) in time for my second tournament, which was a pairs tournament that I entered with my husband.

Playing alongside him was a good experience for me, because he has a calming effect on me, and I think more clearly. He brought his new Colette crew to fight with my Viktorias. Together, we became "Team Johan is a Pimp" -- since he was the only male in play.

Our first game was against a team consisting of another set of Viktorias, and Som'er Teeth Jones. This was my first run-in with Som'er, and I must admit that the pigs delighted me! The Viktorias managed to get into a four-way melee.

Our second game was against Zoraida and Collodi. I got to see Zoraida's beautiful avatar, although it was never brought into play.

Results:

Viktorias + Colette vs. Viktorias + Som'er Teeth Jones = Team Johan is a Pimp wins!
Viktorias + Colette vs. Zoraida + Collodi = Team Johan is a Pimp wins again!

After all VPs were added up, my hubby and I got 2nd place. Really, he won 2nd place, and I was just along for the ride, but it was still a lot of fun to try and help him out!

After I finally finish the details on my Viktorias, I will get some pictures of them up. They are very nearly done, after 3 months of playing them and putting it off!

I'll also post pictures of my husband's Colette crew, who he has been letting me re-paint, because I begged him.

I've picked up two more crews in addition - Perdita, and Molly. Molly's crew isn't even fully assembled yet, though I have played her. Perdita is assembled, but my friend Steph has been stealing her, and I haven't had the chance to try her out yet! I've played many games against her, at Steph's hands!

The hubby has picked up some more as well. So in our house, we currently have Marcus, Rasputina, The Viktorias, Colette, Perdita, Kaeris, Molly and Ramos. I think we're officially addicted!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment